Saturday, January 2, 2016

Tutorial - Shortcuts for Making Half Square Triangles

http://musingsofamenopausalmelon.blogspot.ca/2015/12/how-to-make-168-hsts-seem-like-only-84.html
Time-saving tip for quilts with HSTs

Tutorial at Musings of a Menopausal Melon Blog

"When I finally decided upon the borders for my daughter's grad quilt this past week, I found the number of HSTs required to surround the quilt centre for the design was, gulp, 168.  That number can be rather daunting, because it requires a fair amount of work per HST:  cutting the squares, drawing a diagonal line from point to opposite point, sewing a scant 1/4" on either side of that line, and THEN... You need to cut on the drawn line, press the two triangle units open, and finally square each one to the required size.  This method yields two HSTs, and it is the one I had to use since I needed the HSTs in a certain colour order, so I couldn't use the no-waste method to make flying geese".... Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment